Our master program is maintaining a two-step application process. The first step to apply for FIM is to register in our online application form. After the deadline all applications are screened and evaluated. If your application has successfully passed the screening process you will get an invitation to personal interviews as a second step. After the personal interviews the admission board will decide about your admission.
Dates & Deadlines
The application deadlines will be the 28th of February for the first round and the 14th of May for the second round. An application is possible in one of two rounds. Our class starts in October each year (fall term).
Application is only possible online. The online application form will be provided several weeks prior to the respective application deadline. Please refrain from queries about the exact start of the application period. Typically the online tool will be activated around 2 months before the respective application deadline. If you check the website regularly you cannot miss the start. Feel free to follow our Facebook channel to receive valuable insights into the FIM master program and notifications about specific events and deadlines. The online application for the class of 2017 is now available.
Documents & Language
Please provide all of your documents via our online tool and do not send physical documents via postal mail. You are free to apply either in German or in English.
You will have to upload one PDF file (max. 4 MB) containing the following documents:
- Motivation/Cover letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- Summary and grades of previous studies
- Certificate of higher education entrance qualification (e.g. "Abitur")
- Reference(s) of internship(s)
- Other relevant(!) certificates, references, testimonials etc.
Letters of Recommendation
Letters of recommendation are not obligatory at the moment. Applications are also possible without such a letter. If you decide to attach letters of recommendation, please ask the appraiser to use the provided file FIM form for recommendations. Please contact us in advance if your appraiser wants to seal and send the letter of recommendation via postal mail. In this case we will provide you an appropriate address. Otherwise please attach the letter in the PDF file with all other documents.
TOEFL, GMAT, GRE and Other Test Certificates
Outstanding TOEFL and/or GMAT/GRE scores may be helpful but are currently not compulsory for an application. Applicants are asked to demonstrate their quantitative and language skills during personal interviews. Please refrain from sending your results of TOEFL or other tests directly to the University of Augsburg. Instead please include a soft copy of your results within the PDF file of your online application.
Certifications of Documents
You don’t have to hand in certifications of your documents in the first step. Wrong statements in the online tool and false information provided in your application documents will be followed by exclusion of the elite graduate program – even after acceptance.
If your application has successfully passed the screening process you will be invited to personal interviews. Information about the personal interviews will be attached to your invitation. Interviews are conducted on an invitation-only basis. Please refrain to contact the office to request an interview.
Dates for personal interviews in 2017:
- for the first round: 4th to 6th of April
- for the second round: tba
To ensure that your application is successful, please be aware of the following policies as you submit your application to the Elite Graduate Program “Finance & Information Management”:
- Your application should be written solely by you without outside assistance.
- Please apply online by means of the online application form.
- Only one application may be submitted per year and applicant.
- In case you are not admitted to the program, you may apply only once again.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that their application is complete.
- It is up to the Admissions Board to decide whether any additional materials or changes are considered once an application has been submitted.
- The complete application becomes the confidential property of the Admissions Board.
- Applicants are responsible for ensuring that all the information and accompanying material provided in connection with their application is authentic and accurate.
- The Admissions Board may at any time require applicants to provide satisfactory verification of the information and documents submitted as part of their application. If an applicant is unable to do so, the Board reserves the right to cease consideration of the application, to withdraw any offer of admission already made, and/or to terminate one's status as a student.
- We do not provide any compensation for travel expenses.
Excellent academic results
Formally, applicants will need an excellent bachelor's degree in business sciences, computer science, business & information systems engineering, (industrial) engineering, finance and mathematics or other related disciplines. Awards, certifications, references, scholarships and testimonials are also beneficial. The Examination Board will decide on the equivalence of the degree handed in.
We seek for students who want to develop from being a specialist in one or two disciplines to being a generalist with a broad range of interdisciplinary skills. Thus, any relevant interdisciplinary qualifications (e.g. extra-curricular activities, international experience or internships) can be helpful.
Practical experience of the applicants (e.g. internships, work at university), which demonstrates their competency to apply the knowledge and techniques gained through studies to real problems, would also be a plus.
The ability to work effectively in teams is a key component of the Graduate Program. Therefore, we are looking for candidates with active social involvement (e.g. membership in political parties or other social organizations) who can take responsibility and demonstrate leadership as well as strong interpersonal and communication skills in order to be successful team players.
Since the program is bilingual (English and German), applicants will be asked to demonstrate their language skills - which should allow them to follow lectures and take exams in both languages - during the assessment process.
If you feel “fit” for our challenging and ambitious program, we are looking forward to your application.